Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Convention Round-Up: Next Steps

The past few weeks have been dizzying. I went to four conventions in the past five weeks, exhibiting in one, and participated in one art show. I definitely have a lot more respect for the convention regulars who somehow manage to get to every single show out there, regardless of when or where it is. Nonetheless, I've learned a lot of very valuable things during the past month and hopefully they will help propel me forward.

- Probably the biggest take-away for me has been that my work is in the strange (some would call it unique) position of being between three genres (I've already elaborated on this in a previous blog post), and that maybe I need to go ahead and do something of my own creation.

The issues I have always had with attempting to do something along those lines usually involve me being too scatter-brained to get everything down on paper the way I want it to look. In the past I have been too scared to "fail", but I think it was more a lack of support more than anything. I get particularly intimidated when I look at the work of others and try to hold myself to that standard. Maybe it's just a matter of me finding the right person to be my creative guinea pig sounding board.


"Who is this guy? What does he do?"

I have to start asking questions and answering them. The ones such as, "Who is he? What does he do for a living? Where does he live? How does he live?" What I took away from Intervention-Con in particular was that I need to push further; I have to ask more questions and provide more details. And then I have to build a world for these characters to exist in. I might be getting in a bit over my head here but I suppose I have to start somewhere.

Another blog post with more rambling and hardly any art that hasn't been seen before? I'm awful at this. I promise, the next posts will have more art. And if it doesn't, I give you all permission to hunt me down and pelt me with gummy bears.

No comments:

Post a Comment