Monday, December 20, 2010

Train of Thought

I'll be back in Washington for the next couple of weeks for winter break.

I love trains.They are my main method of getting from home to campus and back. The train is nicer than the bus, and I don't have to worry about running into traffic on I-95. Here are a couple sketches I've done on the Northeast Regional:



 Sketching on a moving train can be challenging, especially on the Northeast Regional line between Washington and Newport News. Unlike the rest of the Northeast Regional line, the Virginia portion of the route is actually freight track that Amtrak shares with CSX. It's not as difficult as drawing on a moving bus, though.

Then there's the Cow Catcher incident:


This past October when I was heading from Richmond to Washington, the train hit a snag on the rail which bent the cow catcher under one of the wheels. We had to sit there for a couple of hours until Amtrak could send out their mobile maintenance to fix the problem, otherwise there was a threat of derailment. I guess the train isn't immune to mechanical gremlins, but I'd rather be stranded on a train than on a bus.

2 comments:

  1. Sketches look good man, I was wondering, do people ever give you funny looks when you're sketching them? Or do you just do it fast enough so they don't notice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get the funny looks occasionally. Sometimes they try to pose for me, which is kind of frustrating. The interesting part is that I don't get the weird looks as much in Washington as I do in Richmond. It's funny how regional demographics can work like that.

    ReplyDelete